So you want to fish on your SUP. Here’s a list of what we pack on our paddle boarding fishing trips.
Many people think fishing off of a paddle board is a big to do. Our suggestion is keep it light, simple and organized. When planning what to bring you have to ask yourself is it a necessity. Can you do without it?
SUP fishing is fun, don’t over think it.
Here’s a breakdown of what we bring on our daily trips.
- SUP Paddleboard – You want your board to be girthy and stable for fishing. A SUP with a double concave bottom will track better and provide a better platform then flat bottom boards. Look for a square tail because this will add to the stability of your board.
- Paddle – Don’t forget your paddle in the mayhem of organizing your fishing gear. Don’t laugh, it happens.
- Anchor – Have an anchor and adjuts the rope to the depth you will be fishing. You will find an anchor is a must have no matter what type of fishing you plan on doing.
- Sunscreen – Just do it! Don’t forget. 30 SPF or better.
- Bug Spray – Keep small can in a zip lock bag. One evening you will thank us.
- Cooler– to fit in your PaddleFish™
- Water – Duh, but easy to forget.
- Ice – Depending on how long you will be out you may want a little ice for your drinks or to keep your catch cold.
- Food – Even if you are going on a short trip bring a couple power bars for needed paddle energy. You never know when fatigue will strike.
- Towel – Bring a dry towel, put it in a dry bag. Just in case.
- Sunglasses – We like to even keep a spare pair in case. Put croakies, cablez or some kind of safety straps on your glasses! You will thank us later. I promise.
- Hand towel or rag – Keep your glasses clean
- Camera – A good waterproof camera is a must. You want a picture of your prized catch.
- Phone – Lifeproof case is a must if you are bringing a phone.
- First Aid Kit – Bring a small First Aid Kit with the basics.
- Life Preserver – Required to have.
- Whistle – Required to have.
- Rope – Keep 40-50 feet of parachute cord on your board. You never know when you will need it. You might need to tie a big fish down or tow another paddler, we have been glad to have it more times then not.
- Pocket Knife – Always good to have.
- Small Waterproof flashlight – You just never know, good to have.
- Ziplock Bag – Bring a couple in different sizes, they come in handy.
- Hat – you want it and you will need it.
- Buff – Keep that sun off you.
Now to the fun stuff – SUP fishing Tackle!
- Rod & Reels – Later we will do some tackle tips on what we like for combos, for now let’s just assume you know what to use for the fishing you will be doing.
- Pliers – A must, keeping them on a lanyard is a good idea since the possibility of dropping them overboard is substantial greater on a SUP.
- Tackle – Again we will assume you know how to fish your area, we will go into specifics in future posts. Keep your tackle in an organized water tight box. Go light, only the basics!
- Leader Material – Bring a small spool in case you need to re-rig.
- Landing Net – Not a must but it sure helps when you have a trophy fish.
- Measuring device – If you are going to keep a couple fish for dinner then have one and know the rules.